“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” - Shel Silverstein

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Knitty Gritty - Expanding the Stitch Nation

I'm so flattered that everyone loves Moxie Girl's sweater so much that they want one! LOL I haven't even gotten to blog about it and put the pictures up here! Considering I got over 5 requests for more than 7 sweaters I would say that there are still quite a few people out there who appreciate handknits. I think that's awesome. I got one request to teach someone to knit and it got me thinking, that'd be the real gift wouldn't it?

I'd love to make sweaters for all the little girls in my life but I would rather spend twice as much time (if necessary) teaching their mommas to knit, even Becky with her ADD. The reason? If these ladies knew how to knit then the possibilities would be endless for them! I feel that fiber crafts (knitting, crochet, spinning, etc) are a dying art form. I'd love to see and know more chicks with sticks (and yarn)! It's a wonderful skill to pass on to our daughters and even our sons. You don't need a lot of equipment, it's quite relaxing, and also very gratifying.

The thing that it isn't is the one thing I hear most often... "it looks so hard!" No it's not. Looks can be deceiving. The sweater everyone adores consists of the knit stitch and the purl stitch with some slip the stitch action where you don't really do anything to the stitch except move it out of the way. 90% of knitting is done with just these three actions. Sometimes there are variations but only sometimes. So don't say it's too hard girls. Give it a go!

It's not expensive, nice yarn is $3 something at Wal-Mart for a skein (ball) big enough to produce two or more hats. Never buy redheart yarn for someone you love including yourself! LOL Experienced chicks with sticks know that redheart is the yuckiest feeling yarn on earth! The sticks (knitting needles) are less than $8 a pair and will last for decades making each set a good investment. Ravelry.com has an abundance of free knitting patterns, and you're ready to give it a go!

I know what you're going to say next "but I'm not talented like you". I'm not picasso folks. If you follow the directions and steps you can knit as well as me or anyone else. It's not that kind of craft. I honestly think they could probably teach monkies to do it. Blind people can and do knit. No blind people don't have anything more in common with monkies than the next person this is just the order of my thoughts. Actually that sweater is only the second finished knitted object I've made. I felt like I could handle it so I tackled it. You'll be able to gauge your own abilities once you actually start knitting. Of course you will never know unless you actually try to knit. Like I told Gabbie "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". It's all about effort...So give it a go!

Oh wait I understand... you don't have time to learn or time to sit and make sweaters or socks...AND I DO?? LOL I do little bits in the evenings to relax and unwind. Sometimes I'll hook up my bluetooth and chat on the phone while plugging away at a project. I might sneak it with me to the park or doctor's office, or play place at the mall, tucked inside a Vera tote of course! It can be really fun, and relaxing and it passes time beautifully :) I don't want you all saying how you wish you could do it...YOU CAN DO IT! I'd love to inspire some of you to give it a go!

So here's my big confession. Absolutely everything I know about knitting I learned from Amy Finlay's videos on knittinghelp.com. Girlfriend's honor! She taught me how to knit and purl, how to finish projects and how to fix mistakes and save my sanity... twice while making Josie's sweater I slipped over to her website to learn (as in for the first time ever) how to do a couple of finishing touches. I am an English knitter, also called a thrower due to the movement of the yarn. I almost always use the continental (or long tail) cast on though, because I think it's most efficient. But you can start off with a regular backward loop cast on if the other method intimidates you. Notice the links? I'm trying to make this as easy a possible *wink* Gabbie has been knitting since she's 6 girls...and she's left handed! I think you've got this! So once again I say give it a go!

I'm only a phone call, e-mail, text message, or facebook post away! If need be I have ways of connecting you with knitters in your area...I am dead serious. Make your daughter a scarf, then make her a hat, then you'll have the skills needed to make her a sweater... I promise! You'd all make your mothers so proud! LOL Or at the very least yourselves, and my how your daughter will love to wear and show off the things her mommy made her! They quickly become treasures.

THIS IS MY GIFT TO YOU!
With lots of love,

No comments:

Post a Comment